Most people think trauma has to be something major like war or sexual assault. However, trauma can be any event or experience that leaves one feeling distressed and unstable after a period of time. One can experience trauma from a variety of life experiences, which leaves almost all of us susceptible to the ongoing damage and consequences of trauma. Some examples are heart break, divorce, car accident, job loss, the pandemic, death of a loved one, rejection, failing an exam, rejection, etc.
Many people can recover from trauma over time with support of family and friends and bounce back with resiliency. But others may discover effects of lasting trauma, which can cause a person to live with deep emotional pain, fear, confusion, or post-traumatic stress far after the event has passed.
In these circumstances, the support, guidance, and assistance of a therapist is fundamental to healing from trauma.
According to the four types of symptoms listed in the DSM-5
- Avoiding specific locations, sights, situations, and sounds that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Intrusive thoughts, nightmares or flashbacks
- Anger, irritability, and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
- Change in habits or behavior since the trauma
While CBT is considered the therapy of choice by many for trauma, Dr. Hamdan’s specialization and training believes otherwise. Dr. Hamdan is a certified Trauma specialist who has learned from the best trauma experts in the field, such as Bessel Van Der Kolk.
If you or someone you know matches the trauma symptoms listed above, Dr. Hamdan’s unique and integrated therapy approach is guaranteed to give you sustainable and transformational results. Please contact us today to set up your appointment.