Do you know you?
One of the most important things that I have learned is the hardest & most valuable relationship you will ever have, is the relationship with yourself. Most of us are never taught how to do this.
What does this mean?
We spend most of our lives self editing and worrying about others.
- You stay quiet to keep the peace, but internally it eats away at you
- People please so others will like you
- Ignore your feelings and talk yourself out of what hurts you
- Avoid telling family or friends what you need or expect
- Do not confront others for fear of losing people
- You ignore your values and do things you don’t like or agree with
When you do this..
Your relationship with others will never be complete or mature, until you learn to respect and have a healthier relationship with yourself.
To do this, requires each of us to self-reflect and admit to ourselves in what ways do you disrespect yourself.
Here are some sample questions to just use a guide:
- How do you feel about yourself when you look in the mirror?
- Is your behavior with others mostly guided by love or by fear?
- How do you feel after hanging out with someone, better or worse?
- How comfortable are you talking about your feelings?
- When you are hurt do you tell person or stay quiet?
- How do you handle difficult but necessary conversations?
- Do you put others before yourself and worry about pleasing them?
Please be patient with yourself, this is an ongoing journey that takes continuous self-reflection and effort.
If you struggle answering these questions or do not like your answers, please see professional help to help you learn to have a healthy relationship with others.